Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Kiss from Heaven

Freedom seemed inconceivable. The chains tightly wrapped around my ankles and wrists were too strong. The metal prison bars too thick. The stench of being locked in that horrible dungeon reeked of death. The scourge I was flogged with had shards of metal and glass on the end of each string of the whip. Sometimes it was hard to postulate any degree of hope. I just didn't have what it took to break the chains. Sometimes, during hallucinations, the prison bars would morph into Satan's teeth and he would guffaw and snort at my helpless condition. But then, like a kiss from heaven, the prison walls shook! The walls started tumbling and cracking and the prison guards fled. My chains came loose and suddenly I was FRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Outside the prison walls there were rolling hills of daisies. I could have just ran away, but I chose to frolic! Freedom at last!!!
If you are still wondering, I got fired from Idaho Mountain Trading. I kept making mistakes on the work tickets in the shop. I was also late to work 2 times. Nothing significant I would have thought would result in me being fired, but I was. On Friday evening, 15 minutes before we closed, my boss called me to his office. Confusion and wonderment filled me as I was walking behind him. My wildest imaginations prodded me with, "What if I get fired!!! That would be amazing!" But my dreams usually just remain as dreams. He sat me down and explained, "Sven, I have bad news........ (I start to get a little giddy)...... I am going to let you go."
I said, "Well, that makes sense! I have a horrible memory, and that doesn't work in a job you have to remember a million things! Also, I wasn't really hurting for a job. Also, it will work out with me going on vacation over the break!"
That probably wasn't quite the response he was expecting.
The last 15 minutes of work I was more chipper then I had ever been. Saying goodbye to everyone, already dreaming of what adventure I might go on because of this surprise vacation.
Goodbye IMT, I am going to Targhee!

4 comments:

Becky said...

HURRAH for pumpkin pie... oh the wonderful snow of Targhee.. Have a not so fun time.nah. Karate CHOP!!

Mary Grace said...

oh svenny. i am so happy that you were excited about being fired. and even here in england, i am a little jealous that i am not going to the Ghee with you.
party on reggae woman.

Angela said...

Sven, your response to your boss made me laugh out loud. . .no joke, that is the funniest post I have ever read. I think one of my favorite feelings is helping authority realize they don't have that much authority after all.

Dixie & Markus said...

Sven, Sven, getting fired from my job has been my secret dream as well. Unfortunately, I keep doing well and not giving them any reason to fire me. Maybe I should start sucking at my job. I'm so jealous of you, even though this happened ages ago. It is a great feeling to be able to do.....whatever, whenever.
Also, I've read a lot of your blog and I find it very motivational and inspiring and hilarious. Please keep updating. I'm adding you to my blog list.
-Your fellow NZed exchange student,
Dixie