Friday, November 30, 2007

Work Ethic

To be completely honest: I don't like my job at Idaho Mountain Trading. Today was especially bad and it took me a long time after work to wind down and stop being pissed off at everything. I try to think back on other jobs I have hated........ it is hard, because most of the jobs I hated I either quit or got fired very early on. Lets see, what jobs have I absolutely hated?
1. roofing- FIRED! after 3 weeks (my entire crew was fired, too)
2. selling vacuums- QUIT after 1.5 weeks
3. putting caps on lotion bottles at Northwestern Cosmetics- QUIT after 4 hours (didn't come back from lunch)
4. telemarketing- QUIT after 4 hours (also didn't come back from lunch)
5. managing a pumpkin patch- FIRED after 3 weeks (I don't know why)
6. working the night audit at a hotel- FIRED! for sleeping on the job (after being a night auditor for 2 weeks)

It starts to make me question my work ethic. Would I consider myself to have a good work ethic? Hmmm.... well, wikipedia defines work ethic as this:
Work ethic is a set of values based on the moral virtues of hard work and diligence. It is also a belief in moral benefit of work and its ability to enhance character. A work ethic may include being reliable, having initiative or maintaining social skills.
My answer is this: I CONDITIONALLY have a good work ethic. The jobs I have excelled at are the jobs that I LIKED. But with the jobs I have hated, 'being reliable' hasnt really been a strong attribute for me. Looks like I will always have to work at a job I like.

Whatev...... it is 2 in the morning and I have to work at 9 (at a crappy job).

5 comments:

Mary Grace said...

ahhh sven. interesting post. At my job in st george i also began to question my work ethic. I think if people judged me by my conduct and acheivments there, they would see a pretty lame person. I feel bad about that. But, i agree with you- in jobs i love, i am REALLY good. so, once again, i FEEL you :)
but, i think you should stick this one out. its just a short time. you can do it.

j:) said...

dang hun, I had no idea you had been through so many jobs.

Angela said...

Sven that post was SOO dang funny. I think anyone who majors in Recreation would be the kind of person who doesn't like doing anything they consider lame or boring. Otherwise we would be majoring in accounting. I was impressed that you've been fired so many times.

William Cobb said...

hehe i like the time when you didn't come back after lunch. Good luck there. p.s. where is the pic of john with the roller blades.

kori said...

way funny post! i busted up at the library and everyone stared. but nothing out of the norm considering my dreds and the fact that i wear my snowboard pants to school almost every day.
my favorite was your bottle cap screwing job and how you left for good on your lunch break.